A bowl of kadhi accompanied with some rice, pickle and onions is a lunch which is enough to give you a happy sleep on Sunday afternoon. This is like a ritual in my house to have a kadhi wala Sunday afternoon every month.
|Besan ki Kadhi|
There are different recipe available on line on "how to make kadhi?". The basic process remains same. You can play with the tadka, add pakoras, or some spinach etc. to enhance the taste.
Today I will be sharing my recipe of making kadhi. This is my healthy version of kadhi as I need to keep check on my weight too ;).
I am not adding pakora to this kadhi but some onions and some spices for the tdka to give the extra flavour.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Person: 2-3 people
Lets start with the ingredients:
- Besan (chickpea flour): 3-4 tablespoons
- Sour curd/ chaas: 1.5 cup
- Water : 3 cups
- Turmeric powder (haldi) :1/2 table spoon
- Red chilli powder (lal mirch powder): 1/2 table spoon
- Garam masala : 1/4 tablespoon
- Onion (pyaj) : 1 big finally chopped (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Some oil if you are adding onion : 1 tablespoon
For tdka (tempering):
- Oil/ ghee: 2 table spoon
- Cumin seeds (jeera): 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds (sarso):1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds( methi dana): 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (heeng) : 1/4 teaspoon
- Bay leaf (tej patta): 2-3
- Red chilli whole dried (sukhi laal mirch): 2-3
- Red chilli powder(laal mirch powder): 1/4 teaspoon
- Let's first start from making kadhi. To prepare the mixture take some of the curd or chaas in a big bowl.You can take it into the cooking pot if you are not adding the onion. Add the besan and dry spices to that.
- Mix it well and make a paste. This step will help you avoid any lumps in the mixture.
- Now add the rest of curd and water and mix it well.
- Take a clean cooking pot and put it on stove medium flame. Add 1tablespoon oil to it and let it heat for 30 seconds.
- Now add the chopped onions and cook them till they become transparent.We don't want them to fry but just soft.
- After the onions are done add the besan mix to the pot. Keep the flame low to medium.
- Keep stirring the pot with a spoon or whisker else it might become lumpy and you don't want that.
- The mixture will start getting thick as the besan will start cooking. Keep this on low flame and cook for good 19-20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes you can adjust the salt and chilli as per your taste if you want. Mix well and close the flame.
For tdka( tempering):
- In a tdka pan heat oil/ghee.
- Once the oil is hot keep the flame low add cumin seeds first.
- When the cumin starts spluttering add the mustard seeds.
- Add the fenugreek seeds, bay leaves(tej patta), whole red chilli and asafoetida.
- Switch the flame on high for a sec and then off.
- After you have removed the pan from flame then add the red chilli powder and transfer this mixture on the top of the kadhi.
- Cover the pan for 5 minutes to absorb the aroma and smoke of the tadka.
Now serve it with rice or chapati, some pickle and salads.