Tuesday, 11 April 2017

Nutrella dry sabji/ Soya badi ki sukhi sabji

Hello everyone

Today I am sharing my rescue recipe. The reason I call it a rescue recipe is because it saves me all the time when I am out of vegetables. Sometimes I don't get time to purchase vegetables or I am out of vegetables because its a weekend etc etc. Any reason when I don't have any cabbage, cauliflower or eggplant or anything like that we usually call a main ingredient.

This recipe includes onion, tomato and some spices which are not the main ingredients but the basic ingredients. I always have onion and tomatoes in my stock because in India we use them in almost every dish we make.
The main ingredient  of this recipe is Nutrella or Soya badi. Its a dry ball so I always have it in my kitchen because it does not expire in 2 or 4 days.

I first ate this dish during my college time. We used to go for a walk in the evening  and then we found a road side stall serving this. The vendor always served this with kulchas which we normally eat as matar-kulcha. I really liked that combination. It was yummy and healthy at the same time.


crushed nutrella sabji

The dish was always in my mind because it was so unique for me at  that time. I always had nutrella with potato or the ball shaped dry sabji. Sometimes the balls don't soak up all the spices and they taste incomplete. The road side dish gave me a an idea and I am loving it.

I call this crushed nutrella or soya badi sabji. Its one of my lunch recipe.Its so easy and less time consuming. The recipe is perfect for lunch. I always prefer dry vegetables or no curry vegetables for my lunch because they are leak proof. I don't want to handle the mess and risk of wrapping the tiffin box or getting all my hands dirty while opening the leak proof lunchbox.

This is perfect lunch recipe to pack in your kids lunchbox too. This is rich in protein and at the same time tasty too. My husband says nutrella is fake chicken. So the days when you can not eat chicken you can eat nutrella.

soya badi/ nutrella dry sabji

It takes maximum 15 minutes to make this and I love 15 minutes recipes because I have to rush to office. So I prefer this kind of dishes in my lunch box. I am sure you will like it :

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 12-14 minutes
Person: 3 people


Ingredients: 

  1. Soya badi/ Nutrella : 1 normal bowl / 20-30 balls
  2. Onion: 2 big size 
  3. Tomato: 3
  4. Dry mango powder: 1/2 teaspoon
  5. Green chili: 1 or as per your taste
  6. Garlic: 2-3 cloves (optional)
  7. Ginger: one small chunk 
  8. Dry chili powder : 1/2 teaspoon 
  9. Dry coriander powder: 1/2  teaspoon 
  10. Turmeric : 1/2 teaspoon 
  11. Cumin seeds : 1 teaspoon
  12. Cooking oil : 1 tablespoon
  13. Salt: As per taste
you can avoid garlic if you want.

Preparation: 

#1 Soak the nutrella: 

The first thing you need to do it soak the nutrella in warm water. The nutrella balls will get soft and fluffy. 
You can add whatever amount of water but it should be enough that the balls expends properly. 
Leave them aside till you prepare your other ingredients.

crushed nutrella sabji
soak the nutrella into warm water


#2 Cut and crush all the other ingredients:

Peel the garlic cloves and ginger. Crush the cloves, ginger and green chilli into mortar-pestle. You can use a mixer as well but I love using mortar pestle so I use this. 

You can also chop into small pieces whatever comfortable for you. 

You can use a mixer or can crush into mortar pestle.

Grind the tomatoes in mixer . Do not make a very smooth paste. Just run the mixer once or twice for 2 seconds and it should be enough. This way you will have the juice of tomatoes as well as the chunks. 
grind the tomatoes  coarsemin mixer.

Cut the onions length wise. You can cut them in any length you want. I prefer lengthwise so that I can have some onion chunks in between the nutrella. So I suggest not to use the mixer with onions.

you can chop the onion length wise or what ever size you want


#3 Crush the nutrella:

Strain the excess water from the nutrella bowl and transfer to the mixer. Do not squeeze the balls that will make your nutrella dry. Let them be moist so this will make your recipe rich. 
You can even cut the balls into halves or small pieces but that will take a lot of time. So I use the mixer for this. 
Crush the nutrella in mixer.

You can crush it very small or can leave some big chunks like I did. 



Recipe:

#1 Heat the oil in the pan and then add cumin seeds. After 1 second add the ginger-garlic paste and roast it till the raw smell of ginger and garlic goes away. If you can not identify the smell then till the mixture becomes golden brown.

heat cooking oil into the pan and then add cumin seeds and ginger garlic paste

#2 Now add onion and roast them till they become transparent. A nice golden brown color will be good. Keep the flame medium-high. Add the tomato mixture and all other dry spices.

Add onion first. after golden brown add tomato and dry spices.

#3 Mix everything well. Roast the mixture till it starts leaving oil in the pan. The point when the mixture will not stick to the pan means its done.

cook the mixture untill it starts leaving the pan surface.

#4 Add the curshed nutrella to the pan and mix it well. You need to keep the flame medium-high till this point.

Add curshed nutrella to the pan .
Mix all the ingredients well on medium high flame for 3-5 seconds.

#5 After mixing properly lower the flame and cover the pan. Give it a mix in 5-7 minutes.

Lower the flame. cover the lid and let it cook for 7-10 minutes.

#6 After 12-13 minutes when the nutrella will soak all the spices it will look juicy and soft. The Recipe is done at that time. Just higher the flame and mix it for 2-3 seconds properly. After that close the flame.

#7 You can add some garam masala for extra taste if you like and mix it. You don't need to do it on the flame.

#8 Pack it in you lunchbox and you can have it with kulchas, paranthas. roti, bread whatever you like. 
Pack it in your lunch box.
Crushed nutrella sabji



 I am sure after trying this recipe you will keep nutrella in stock if you don't have till now.

This is a very nutritious recipe. So the weight watchers can enjoy it too without any guilt. This kind of small and healthy recipes has made my life so simple and relaxed.

 I don't get any time to make those easy but time consuming dishes everyday so I keep them for Sundays or holidays.

This recipe is not only simple and if you also have to rush to office or you have to pack lunch for your husband and son then add this to your list. It will surely be a good and healthy addition to your cookbook.

You can check my Mix-veg and rainbow rice ideas as well. They are effortless to make.

Do let me know in the comments if you like my recipes.
Please share your views and ideas too about simplifying your kitchen life with work.

Stay happy, stay blessed.. Keep experimenting.



No comments:

Post a Comment