Wednesday, 24 May 2017

How to make aloo-gobhi/potato-cauliflower

Potato is the most common vegetable used in Indian meal. It can be combined with a lot of other veggies to make them more tastier. The combination of aloo-gobhi/ potato- cauliflower is one of them.

This is the most basic part of an Indian meal. I have been a fan of this dish since my childhood. I am sure everybody who tastes it likes it. When I eat this I try to find out the flower of the cauliflower. A hint of potato and a full piece of cauliflower is just perfect. 

aloo-gobhi


I have seen people searching for the big piece of cauliflower and its like a treasure hunt when you get one. Well you get a good part when you order it in a restaurant but mostly homemade are a bit mushy. You get the taste but the big cauliflower piece is very rare. 

I love my mom's cooked aloo-gobhi. I try hard but I have not reached to that level of taste. Though I have achieved that beautiful non-mushy look of the aloo-gobhi. 

There are many ways to make it. Some people just make a tomato paste and toss aloo-gobhi to it and just cook it with steam. That's a very common method but either you put a lot of oil into it or you might get your vegetable burnt. You need to keep it mixing so that it doesn't stick to the pan. 

The one method I am sharing is very easy. The best part is you can make it in minutes if you have planned your food menu. I am a working women so I don't get time to rinse,chop, cut the vegetable every morning. I keep the boiled potato-cauliflower in the fridge and whenever I am in hurry I just toss it with some spices and tomato. It hardly takes 5 minutes to get it ready. 

aloo-gobhi


The best part about this method is you get the full flower of cauliflower and you don't need to put a lot of oil. So, you can eat it without a worrying about oil. 

This is my grand mom's method and she told this to my mom and my mom to me. :) I doubt if any Indian family wants to serve aloo-gobhi when the guests visit and that's because its a very basic dish and also it does not look nice if it gets mushy. If they serve aloo-gobhi then either its a fired one or there is too much oil put into it. 

So, if you are the one like me who does not want to serve oil to the guests but want them to try aloo-gobhi of your kitchen then you should give this method a try. Its very simple and it will hardly take 15 minutes depending on your quantity.

Preparation time: 10 minutes 
Cooking time : 5 minutes
Serving : 4 people 

Ingredients: 

  • Cauliflower/Fool gobhi- 1 or 1/2 kg
  • Potato/aloo - 3-4 
  • Cumin seeds/jeera - 1 teaspoon 
  • Red chilli powder/Lal mirch powder- 1 teaspoon 
  • Coriander powder/Dhaniya powder- 1/2 teaspoon 
  • Turmeric powder/ Haldi powder - 1/2 teaspoon 
  • Tomato/ tamatar- 3
  • Green chilli/ hari mirch - 2-3 
  • Garam masala- 1/4 teaspoon 
  • Fresh green coriander / hra dhaniya - for garnish
  • Salt/ namak- to taste 
  • Cooking oil - 1 tea spoon 
  • Ginger- small chunk
  • Water - to boil
You can increase or decrease the amount of potato or any spices as per your like. You can have more chillies if you want more spices. 

Preparation: 

The reason I am mentioning this step as preparation because you can do this step whenever you have time. You can keep it into the refrigerator and can use it in next two days. 
It will save your time when you are making the dish. I do it every week because it saves my time to prepare lunch box in the morning. 

#1 Wash the potato properly. Peel it and cut into small pieces. You can dice it into any size you want.
#2 Now wash and remove the hard stem of cauliflower. Cur the flower from the stem. you can keep whatever size you want. Either you can keep on flower or you can cut it into halves. One flower means the one small flower from the big cauliflower. 

#3 Now boil some water with salt and a drop of oil into the pan. The cauliflower and potato should dip into the water.

#4 Put the veggies into the boiling water and let it boil on medium flame till 7-9 minutes. 

aloo-gobhi


#5 After 7 minutes check with a fork if they are soft or not. Do not boil them too much else they will get meshed later. 

#6 Drain the water and keep the boiled veggies aside. You can store it into refrigerator for 2 -3 days or you can cook it right after. 

draina and store. you can cook right after or you can store.


Note: Boiling the cauliflower not only lessen up the oil amount for the recipe but also it removes all the germs which sometimes can not be removed by washing. 

Recipe: 

#1 Heat the oil into pan. Add cumin seeds. Let them splitter. 

#2 Add the grated ginger (remove the peel). You can cut it into thin slices also. After 2 seconds add tomato chilli paste.You can either grate the tomatoes and chillies or grind them in grind or cut them into small pieces. 

#3 Now add all the dry spices apart from salt and garam masala. Keep mixing it on medium flame till the mixture starts leaving oil. In other words it will not stick to the pan. 

let the cumin splitter . now add the tomato paste and dry spices.


#4 Now add the boiled veggies to it and mix properly. Keep your hand light so that you don't mesh but mix. 

mix and cover  the lid


#5 Now cover the lid and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Lower the flame.

#6 After 3 minutes add some salt and mix.Cover the lid for 1 minute. 

#7 Now your veggies should be done if not then you can cook it for next 2 minutes. Close the flame and sprinkle the garam masala and chopped coriander and cover it for 2 minutes. 

aloo-gobhi


Your beautiful healthy aloo-gobhi is ready. You can serve it with pratha and curd or with plain Indian flat bread. 

I hope you liked this recipe. Please comment and share. 

DO share your ideas and experiments with food you do in your kitchen.

Try my other recipes of potato chutney and mango pickle . You will love them.

You can follow me on my facebook page and my instagram for daily updates.

Stay happy .. stay healthy... keep experimenting !!







No comments:

Post a Comment