Thursday, 11 May 2017

Instant raw mango- asafoetida pickle/aam- hing ka achar

This time the summer is being too harsh and I really don't want to go out of my house infact from my room. Indian summer specially in Northen India is really not tolerable anymore. Unfortunately staying in the room is not a practical option so I try to divert my mind with some creativity in my kitchen.

The summer season brings fire in the air but it does bring the variety of fruits and veggies in the market. I am a fruit-addict  since childhood. The fruits like watermelon, muskmelon, litchi and yes Mango ..make me feel so delighted whenever I see any fruit stall. Mango is the best one. We use not only the ripened phase but raw mango is also high in demand.

aam-hing ka achar




We can make some drink like aam panna, some chutney or some pickle/achar with raw mangoes.The first time I tasted aam-hing (mango-asafoetida) pickle/achar in college, I am a fan since then. I tried to make it myself but could not prepare the same taste. I always went wrong when it came to keeping it in sun and leaving for 2-3 days.

One day I had some raw mango left so I just experiemented with some masalas/spices and Haleluya !! I was high on my toes to see the results. I packed some in my brother's lunch and his mates really liked it. They suggested that I shall put it on the blog. So here I am !!


aam-hing ka achar

It is so simple and easy to make. It is so quick to make that you can make it anytime when you have any amount of raw mango left from chutney or something. Though pickles are best when they age but this is totally good to go as soon as you make it.

The ingredients are very basic and easily available in any Indian kitchen. If you don't have them then you can get them from any grocery store. Roast them, crush them, mix them and enjoy. It will hardly take your 10-12 minutes and you can keep it into the freeze or you can keep it outside in the kitchen.

Aam-hing ka achar- all spices are available in indian kitchen


One thing I would like to tell you that I have not kept it more than 10 days so try not to make it too much for like 1 month or 1 year stock. No.. No...!! Anayways its so simple dn hassle free that you can make it whenever you want.

The taste of hing/asafoetida is so dominating that I can have this pickle without any bread or rice. I love hing/asfoetida and I love the smell and taste of it. So people like me must try this one.

Let start making it.

Ingredients: 

  • Raw mango (kachch aam)- 1 
  • Cumin seeds (jeera)- 1/5 teapoon (just a hint)
  • Cooking fennel seeds (mota saunf)- 1 tablespoon 
  • Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)- 1/2 teaspoon 
  • Mustard seeds (sarson dana)- 1tablespoon 
  • Nigella seeds (kalonji)- 1/2 teaspoon 
  • Coriander seeds (dhaniya beej) - 4-5 seeds (optional)
  • Asafoetida (hing)- 1/2 teaspoon 
  • Red chilli powder (laal mirch powder)- 1 tablespoon 
  • salt (namak) to taste
  • Mustard oil(sarson ka tel)- 3-4 tablespoons


You need to check the raw mango should be acutally raw it should not be pulpy or yellowish inside.
You can adjust amount of chilli and asafoetida as per you taste.

Recipe: 

#1 Wash and dry the mango properly. If the peel is too thick then you can just remove it or if it is soft and chewy then you can keep it.

#2 Cut the mango into small pieces. Mix the salt and chilli powder and keep it aside. You can use whole red dry chillis and grind them or you can just use the ready made powder.

cut the mango in small pieces and add salt and cilli powder


#3 In  a pan roast all the ingredients apart from mustard oil and asfoetida OR roast all the dry ingredients leaving asafoetida.

do not roast the asafoetida


#4 Shift the rosated spices in motar-pestel and crush them.Also add the hing/asafoetida to it.  Keep some in a corase crush and some with fine crush.

add hing/asafoetida while curshing to have more fine powder of asofetida


#5 Mix this crushed spice mixture with the diced mango pieces.

mix them properly and keep aside

#6 Heat the mustard oil in a tadka pan or spatulla. It should be smoking hot else it will leave a smell in the pickle. Now let it cool for 10 seconds and then pour it on the mango mixture.

#7 Keep the bowl covered for 5 minutes and then mix the oil properly.

after 10 seconds at it to the mango mix and keep it copvered for 5 minutes


#8 Taste and adjust the salt/ chilli / asafoetida. You can make it as per your taste.

Store it in a container. DO not keep it in the fridge immidiately. Just let it be outside in the kitchen for next 12 hours. After that you can keep it in fridge or in the kitchen as per your choice. I prefer in the kitchen.

after 12 hours you can keep it in the fridge or outside.



You can have this delicious pickle with rice or bread.
It will go along well with any Indian meal.

TIP: Just wash the storing vessel with vinegar adn water to disinfect. This will help your pickle to last longer. 

Do try this and let me know in the comments about your views.

DO share your ideas and experiments with food you do in your kitchen.

Try my other recipes of potato chutney and green chuntey . You will love them.

You can follow me on my facebook page and my instagram for daily updates.

Stay happy .. stay healthy... keep experimenting !!






No comments:

Post a Comment